Sunday 8 July 2012

Storybox, Manchester

I have been co designing and facilitating the Storybox sessions alongside Lowri Evans, a theatrical artist from Manchester in four alternate Day Centres across Manchester for the last two months.
The Day Centres that we were working in where primarily for individuals living with Dementia and who are still living at home, attending the day centres for either respite, additional support or for social reasons. They were situated in both Wythenshawe and Bury with all walks of life, abilities and interests.

I can honestly say that this has to be one of my favourite projects with the endless posibilities of ideas that could be shared through creative cross collaboration...it was amazing working alongside another artist in a different field! (Which i would certainly recommend again). It was certainly a development from my American adventures in which i concluded that all art forms work for individuals living with dementia which should all be incorporated into each workshop. This way everyone can engage in what they feel accessible and of interest to.

The Storybox Project also inspired some truly amazing stories, characters and visuals. The themes we worked around during the project included 'Travelling the World', 'Food', 'At the Mill', 'The Sea' and 'Closing Ceremony and Red Carpet Event'. All of the themes meant that everyone could identify with them with some unforgetable moments.

This is a story written by one of the Day Centres, based on theme of Shopping:

Pinfold Lane Day Centre

On our way to the Shops


That’s Harry’s shop – a Post Office!

It is open from 7am to Midnight

People drop off letters to Pakistan, letters to South Africa, Whitefield and Australia and to a Granddaughter in Mallorca

I am afraid that there is no discount on stamps today!

What are you selling?

At the Post Office, Harry sells Stamps, Booze and Women

I will call again!

How much can you draw out at the Post Office every time you come, as I need 3 million?

Oh don’t worry; I have it here – in the backroom!

At this point, the robbers break in to Harry’s Post Office and steal everything!

Stick em up – it’s a robbery!

Harry say’s - I have been duped!

Don’t take my money – take my wives say’s Harry!

Hit the Alarm!

I never trusted him says Harry’s wife!

I would trip them up with either my hand bag or stick says the customers in the shop at the time of the robbery!



- As you can tell - the Tablo's that supported this story were truly hilarious!

Photographs from the final Storybox Project will be updated in the next week
 - KEEP POSTED!!


Please see the link below for additional information on the Storybox Project:
http://www.librarytheatre.com/project/storybox